Humming along the melodies of the Universe

How does music make me feel?

I don’t know. It is a lot of things. The feeling is hard to capture in words, and therefore it is harder to do justice to its true essence.
Music has been a huge part of my life, as I bet it has been of anyone’s life. However, I believe that music is not limited to what artists produce be it contemporary or classical. Music goes beyond that. It is the music of the universe. As David Dunn quoted in ‘Nature, Sound Art, and the Sacred:’ "I think that most musicians can relate to the idea that music is not just something we do to amuse ourselves. It is a different way of thinking about the world, a way to remind ourselves of a prior wholeness when the mind of the forest was not something out there, separate in the world, but something of which we were an intrinsic part." Similarly, this music is what I hear when I am out sitting in the hammocks or near my window taking in the surrounding beauty of my environment. This music is in the fluttering of the birds, their sometimes pleasant and sometimes-unpleasant (crows) chirps. It’s in the way the wind just ushers by singing it’s own ghostly song, which is mostly, more evident during stormy weathers. Even beyond that, I feel this music the strongest when I am near the ocean.  I feel the ocean speak to me, as if it is singing to me a verse so complicated yet so serene. I feel the music of the waves each time I swim under them; I feel their harmony and rhythm. I feel one with the music of the universe.
And how does this oneness make me feel? Amazing. I feel beautiful. The world, the universe feels immensely beautiful. I can feel the grandeur of the universe and my existence as a part of this multiverse.
 What does this music make me think? I think of all the wonder that lies beyond me and the wonder that lies within me. The rhythm and harmony of the ocean as I sing along with it takes me to a different space. I feel the negativity, I feel the tension, anxiety everything leave my body. It is as if all the negative energy is drowning in the music of the ocean.  I feel amazing.
The music makes me wonder as each wave crashes by, what is it that the ocean is telling me? What is the meaning behind its song: in its turbulence and its peace? What is it that the ocean is trying to say to me? Is it singing to me to “go with the flow”? After all, unless you understand the music of the universe through the ocean in its perpetual rise and fall, unless you make yourself one with this music, it is hard to embrace it. Just like any music made by any artist. It’s hard to embrace the music if you’re unable to find a connection with it, as goes with human existences. Is the ocean sweetly singing to me to just go for it? Like going under a big wave or your first wave ever – is the ocean telling me to go for what I am scared of? Is the ocean, with its music synchronized with the hum of the universe, telling me to go beyond myself, to go under the scary waves, to experience an almost divine state incapable of being wrapped and captured in words? Is it showing me, by giving me the chance to embrace it that yes I can. Or, if I can swim with the ocean – its melodies and rhythms, I can face the scariest waves in my life if I immerse myself in it? Is the ocean humming to me to embrace each moment as a beautiful memory – to open myself up to that beauty and the resultant vulnerability, by exposing me to its divinity as I come out of the glistening and sparkling surface of the water again?
The ocean is turbulent – it’s strong and majestic, yet, simultaneously, it’s calm – still strong and majestic.   Nevertheless, its music remains mystifying, captivating, reflective, soothing and beautiful. It’s a music that touches you at your most basic self. Once you get a taste of this music, you cannot stop – its nature is seductive. The ocean will take you beyond yourself with its music.
It will take you outside of your box; the music will set you free.
You can swim in the harmonies of the endless ocean as a bird flies in the endless sky.
You can truly liberate yourself and grow beyond your enclosures.
The music will touch you. It will captivate you. All you have to do is immerse yourself in it, feel it, devour it, embrace it and accept it.
It’s crazy… It’s freaking crazy because just thinking of this music is elevating my spirit. Stress? What stress? Chains? What chains? I am breaking free. That’s the power of this music. This is the power of the ocean’s harmonies, melodies and dynamics as it plays and synchronizes with the hum of the universe. I feel this energy, this dynamic and this synchronicity just as I am typing. I feel the high of the music. My fingers, my being tingles with the energy of the music. My mind, my consciousness, is immersed in this calm and beautiful music.
This is the most amazing feeling ever.
I feel like I can do it all. I can break away; I can set myself free. I am setting myself free.
I am one with the music of the ocean. I am one with the music of the universe. I am one with the universe. This IS the universe.

Thank you. 





P.S. Special kudos to my professor Jim Merod for his brilliant inspiration. This post is dedicated to him and all the growth he spurred within me to write beyond the sanctions of structures and rules. Thank you! 

Comments

Popular Posts